(If you haven’t already, read our first post about Cross-Curricular STEM Challenges.)
- A CS lesson on human interface design using Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Younger students may require an explanation of interface).
- Think about the droids in Star Wars as further expansion and explanation for this type of technology.
- The story of Humpty Dumpty (STEM challenge: construct a crate to protect Humpty from his fall)
- Because the Little Bug Went Ka-choo by Rosetta Stone – Dr. Seuss book (STEM challenge: construct a Rube Goldberg machine)
- Read this true story about a Coast Guard rescue (for grades 8-12 students); there are loads of STEM challenges applicable to this story: how to keep a boat afloat in hurricane force winds; how does the helicopter stay in position; how to equalize a listing boat, and more. Other nautical options include Moby Dick by Herman Melville, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne, and The Perfect Storm: A True Story of Men Against the Sea by Sebastian Junger.